Friday, February 13, 2009

My Pre-College Orchestra Experience

Layton High School Orchestra (1994-1997)
~
I enjoyed playing in my high school orchestra and singing in the acapella choir. We went on several trips to California during this time (Disneyland and San Fransico). My main objective in high school in regards to music was to become our Music Sterling Scholar during my senior year. I was able to accomplish this goal and I appreciate the music opportunities which I participated in. The competition was tough so I was glad I'd made contributions to our LHS music programs.
.
Utah Youth Symphony (1992-1997)
with Barbara Scowcroft

Amelia, Rebekah, me, Barbara, Ralph
(Feb. 2002 SLC Winter Olympics Cultural Olympiad)
~
Sometime in our Utah Youth Symphony years, Barbara married Utah Symphony’s concertmaster Ralph Matson. We participated in side-by-side concerts with the Utah Symphony where we got to play with professionals - what an honor! I remember Saturdays in junior high and high school started very early - 7:30-10:00am at the University of Utah Gardner Hall for rehearsals. We played the most amazing symphonies and it gave me a lot of great note-reading practice. I love the picture above that was taken during the SLC Winter Olympics. I was already graduated from college but Rebekah, my sister, played for the events and Amelia, my other sister, had been involved with the orchestra too. If you want to know more about the Utah Youth Symphony visit:
utahyouthsymphony.org

No comments: