Friday, February 13, 2009

My College Orchestra Experience

Ricks College Graduation (1997-1999)
Cathy Butler Marlor and Dr. Kevin Call
~
I got a great orchestral scholarship to Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) where I got my associate degree in Interpersonal Communications. To maintain my scholarship I attended 2-hour rehearsals 5 days per week from 10am-12pm. This put me in both the symphony and chamber orchestras. What a fabulous way to pay for college! Ricks had a fine-arts 100 requirement for all students so we had a lot of support for our many concerts due to the fact that every student had to attend 20 various concerts on campus in order to graduate. The funnest by far is the annual Halloween concert which always has a fun theme, strobe lights, hand-carved pumpkins, and lots of craziness. We always did 6 of these performances because it was so popular. I've since attended a few myself and they are just as fun from the audience. BYU-Idaho recently had an orchestra reunion in honor of Dr. Call which I attended and loved! I picked the right school when I picked Ricks. I met my now husband of 10-years on the first day of classes!
All-Occasions String Quartet (1999-2001)
Elizabeth McFadden, Jenny Melville, Cathy Marlor, Jennifer Cosman
~
After Ricks, we moved to Logan, UT where we attended Utah State University. On an academic scholarship, I got my bachelor degree in Family and Consumer Sciences and graduated summa cum laude in spring of 2001. While there, I kept up my violin skills by playing in the All-Occasions String Quartet.

No comments: