Saturday, June 7, 2014

Violin Injury

I was teaching one Thursday morning in May, my student and I had just finished playing a note-reading duet and I was writing something in the music when my metronome/tuner fell off the side of the stand and crashed into the edge of my violin.  Although there have been plenty of scratches throughout the many years I've had this violin, it has never been hit in this way or done such quick damage in so little time.  I took it into Charles Liu on the way to a family reunion and picked it up the following weekend after a date planned in the Midvale area with my husband; gratefully I was not scheduled to teach that week in-between so it worked out perfectly!  The moment the metronome fell and I could see how my violin got hit, being familiar with the costs of instrument up-keep and repair, my first thought was: 'well there goes at least 100 bucks' (which ended up being a really close estimate).


I salvaged what pieces I could, some of which were glued back on but with the way it shattered some had to be wood-filled and re-stained.
Violin back in working order and with a few bonus touch-ups that I would have otherwise waited on for a few more years.

No comments: